Monday 26 September 2016

Tea and Cake at Molly's


You know those times when you walk down the same street you've walked down a hundred times before and you're in your own little world, thinking about a million and one things you have to do. Well it was one of those occasions when a friend, who I'd not seen in ages, stopped me to say hello. We chatted for a bit and caught up with what was happening in each other's lives, when she suddenly asked me if I'd ever been in Molly's Tea Room and she pointed towards the shop that we were standing right outside. I had to admit I didn't even know it was there! She asked me if I'd got time for a quick cup of tea and it just so happened that particular day I was on top of my very long to do list. So in we went.




Molly's Tea Room is a 1940s style tea room which is reminiscent of Lyon's Tea Shops and they were extremely popular before the war up until the 1960s. Don't get me wrong, I love going into one of the larger coffee shops for my favourite flavoured coffee, but sometimes I just fancy going in somewhere a little less busy and without all the noise from machinery. Molly's Tea Room seemed the perfect place.
When my friend and I first entered the tea room we were immediately greeted by a really lovely assistant who introduced herself as Maya and she showed us to a table. We were given a menu and Maya left us for a few minutes to have a look through so we could decide what we'd like to have. We were really spoilt for choice as there was everything from homemade cakes, a selection of sandwiches, salads, jacket potatoes or even a all day breakfast. There's also the option for an Afternoon Tea at £13 per person, however they do require 24 hours notice and a deposit, which is a wonderful idea for a special occasion. I decided to go for a slice of Victoria sponge, which is one of my favourites, and a pot of tea.



While we were waiting for our order to arrive, I took the opportunity to have a look around. One thing I noticed is that even though it was a busy afternoon in Molly's, there was a very relaxed atmosphere in there and not one of the members of staff seemed stressed. I felt as though I had stepped back in time and popped into a neighbours house for cup of tea and a slice of cake. There were ornate wooden shelves full of pretty floral crockery and other cute little trinkets, just as though you would've seen in someone's kitchen. I couldn't resist taking a few photos!



Maya returned with our order and it was a real delight to find the large floral tea pot was covered in a cute, pink hand knitted tea cosy just like my Grandmother used to have. We had a quick chat with Maya who explained that all of the cakes were freshly made that day by ladies who worked there. The huge slice of Victoria sponge looked gorgeous and tasted absolutely delicious, so light and fluffy and the tea was probably the best cup of tea I've had in a tea shop for quite a while. I definitely got my moneys worth!



After we had finished we got up to pay at the counter and that's when I noticed all of the other delicious cakes, it was way too tempting to have a slice of something else! I managed to resist it though so maybe I'll do that on my next visit.
One of the nicest things about Molly's, as well as the food, was that the other customers seemed as happy and relaxed as I was, no one was complaining or being rude Even the staff were extremely friendly and really seemed to enjoy working there, no matter how rushed off their feet they may have been. It was such a homely environment that I felt like I should have offered to help with the washing up. I can't believe I've never noticed this beautiful, quaint little tea room before!

Thank you so much for reading my post. Have you ever visited a vintage style tea house?

You'll be able to follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment